Posting this at the request of my mama, who wants some more yummy protein in her diet!
Here is the recipe for my "Protein Pancakes". You can even make a huge amount in a big bowl and make a big stack of them at one time and freeze them in baggies in your freezer so you can pop them in the microwave when you want one and not have to make them for a week, but this is a good recipe for trying 1 or 2 out – depending on how big your pan is. You can make (2) thinner ones if you wish or (1) thick one with the following recipe:
- 4-6 Egg Whites or 1 cup Egg Beaters (You can add an egg yolk to the whites if you need more fat in your diet or if you want the pancake thicker)
- ½ cup of old fashion instant oats (You can use ¼ cup if you’re cutting carbs – just up the protein powder to 1 scoop to accommodate) OR use just 1 Pkg. of weight control oatmeal packets.
- (If you want more protein and more of a chocolatey flavor – add ½ scoop chocolate protein powder or see above – you can even use slim fast powder or cocoa if you want more of a chocolate flavor) .. I don’t usually put this but it is a good option.
- Splenda, Stevia or Truvia.. (I like 1-2 packets per pancake – you can add this before you cook or before you eat). Also, if you put berries or applesauce in your pancake while you are blending, or if you use the oat packets with flavor, you probably won't need a sweetener.
- If you don't use any premade oats, you can add for flavor -a few dashes of Cinnamon (or Pumpkin Pie Spice – you can even just use Vanilla Extract or other food flavorings, depending on what flavor you want your pancakes.
- Optional -- add 1/2 cup blueberries or a banana. You can get creative and add in almond slivers or raisins -- whatever you like that is on your food plan.
- Blend up with a hand blender until smooth consistency –if you don’t have one you can definitely use a normal blender. You can blend a large amount in a blender -- I like to use my magic bullet for 1 pancake!
- (After blending, you can add into the mixture the chopped fruit, slivered almonds, or raisins if you wish)
- Cook on a sprayed pan like you would a pancake, flip when one side is dry (or make into thinner small pancakes).. VIOLA!
- I like to eat mine with sugar free maple syrup (Cozy Cottage is good) and spray butter – but other good toppings for them are peanut butter, sugar free jelly, applesauce, canned peaches, etc..
- If the pancake is too big for you to eat (mom!), give half to your husband to eat, or try using less egg whites and oatmeal next time :)