GretchCannon: My Thanksgiving Dish!

11.29.2010

My Thanksgiving Dish!

I had a potluck at my new home this year, and my boyfriend and I were in charge of a turkey, drinks and a yam dish. We made some guacamole and ended up buying a bunch of other stuff - the company was fabulous and I just wanted to share my recipe! It was the 1st time I have ever made a sweet potato dish (besides when I did a couple of figure competitions and ate plain yams every day!) - so I was excited. I actually found a recipe on Allrecipes.com, then tweaked it to use the healthy ingredients that I already had!

Gretchen's Healthy Turkey Day Yams:
  • 4 1/2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (I used canned)
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted (I used Smart Balance Light)
  • 1/3 cup milk (I used unsweetened Almond milk)
  • 1 cup white sugar (I used the equivalent in baking Splenda)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup light brown sugar (I used brown sugar Splenda - which smells like rum by the way! Weird!)
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I used Fresh & Easy organic wheat flour)
  • 1/3 cup butter (same as above - Smart Balance Light)
  • 1 cup chopped pecans (Yum! I might have added a few extra. Wink Wink!! Love me some Pecans. I WAS born in Georgia!) 
(And my additions were: a little bit of cinnamon for the topping & some shredded coconut, which I got from Fresh & Easy) 


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. (I sprayed it all over with olive oil cooking spray)
  2. In a large bowl, mix together mashed sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup butter, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs. Spread sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and flour. Cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture is crumbly, then stir in pecans. Sprinkle pecan mixture over the sweet potatoes. (Gretchen note here - my mixture did not really get "crumbly" - so I added a little more flour and a little more brown sugar splenda. I think that normal sugar would be drier - but I spread it out evenly over the top anyways, and it was fine!)
  3. Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. 
And there you go! The pictures are before the baking - I was so busy, I forgot to take an after-picture, but if scroll to the bottom, you will see how I liked it :)





Here is me --- YUMMY YAMS!! I would definitely make them again. Super easy & delicious. I have had leftovers a few times already. Let me know if any of you bake any up!

 

2 comments:

  1. This recipe was bangin for our Thanksgiving Dinner! Drea made it last week it was sooooo goood :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww she did!? I am flattered!! It is good huh! What kind of brown sugar did she use?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...