I had a potluck at my new home this year, and my boyfriend and I were in charge of a turkey, drinks and a yam dish. We made some guacamole and ended up buying a bunch of other stuff - the company was fabulous and I just wanted to share my recipe! It was the 1st time I have ever made a sweet potato dish (besides when I did a couple of figure competitions and ate plain yams every day!) - so I was excited. I actually found a recipe on Allrecipes.com, then tweaked it to use the healthy ingredients that I already had!
Gretchen's Healthy Turkey Day Yams:
- 4 1/2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (I used canned)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (I used Smart Balance Light)
- 1/3 cup milk (I used unsweetened Almond milk)
- 1 cup white sugar (I used the equivalent in baking Splenda)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup light brown sugar (I used brown sugar Splenda - which smells like rum by the way! Weird!)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I used Fresh & Easy organic wheat flour)
- 1/3 cup butter (same as above - Smart Balance Light)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (Yum! I might have added a few extra. Wink Wink!! Love me some Pecans. I WAS born in Georgia!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. (I sprayed it all over with olive oil cooking spray)
- In a large bowl, mix together mashed sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup butter, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs. Spread sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and flour. Cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture is crumbly, then stir in pecans. Sprinkle pecan mixture over the sweet potatoes. (Gretchen note here - my mixture did not really get "crumbly" - so I added a little more flour and a little more brown sugar splenda. I think that normal sugar would be drier - but I spread it out evenly over the top anyways, and it was fine!)
- Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.
Here is me --- YUMMY YAMS!! I would definitely make them again. Super easy & delicious. I have had leftovers a few times already. Let me know if any of you bake any up!