GretchCannon: Kale Chips! Happy Monday!

11.15.2010

Kale Chips! Happy Monday!

I have seen lots of people writing about baking Kale chips as of late and suddenly I got the itch to try some. I actually bought a bunch of Kale at the store last week, but it went bad before I remembered to cook it.  I picked up a fresh bunch the other day and decided to cook it up the other night while I was eating dinner. I was too tired to cook dinner & James was at the gym, so I popped a veggie burger (Gardenburger) in the microwave, ate it with Organic low sugar Ketchup and then ate about 3/4 of a can of Marinated Beans from Trader Joe's.
Got a recipe from AllRecipes.com - (photo is before cooking)

  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
  1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
  3. Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.
Per serving: Calories: 58, Fat: 2.8g 
My experience - I don't have a salad spinner, so I washed the Kale and then dried it with paper towels. It probably wasn't as dry as it should be for the recipe.  I had so much kale, that I made one batch with season salt and one batch with normal salt. I didn't really like the season salt - I would rather have it on Fries or a Turkey Burger, so I liked the 2nd batch better. I had plenty of nice & crisp chips when I was done. I felt like it was kind of the phenomenon of cotton candy. You put it in your mouth and it gets small really fast and you can just keep eating it. I ate most of it actually with my dinner, then made a small bowl to take to work the next day as a snack. No bueno - cold lunchbag = soggy Kale.
So, I would make it again, I would dry it better, and I would probably not eat the leftovers!! At least it was a fun healthy crispy snack! Happy Monday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...